GRANTS FOR GRABS
The Annexe Community Arts Initiative
The Annexe’s Grants For Grabs is made possible by an inaugural donation of RM 50,000.00 by Fashion Inc’s Mana Batik exhibition.
The Annexe at Central Market , which came into existence in January 2007, has become a space much loved for its accessibility, artist-audience interactivity and alternative nature. It hosts all manner of art form and expression and has attracted projects that are experimental, multidisciplinary and socially conscious. In an effort to help create an artistically aware and critical public, The Annexe also provides workshops that offer participants an avenue to gain new skills and perspectives, exchange views and express themselves. The Annexe’s Grants For Grabs naturally follows this vision.
Funds up to a maximum of RM 15,000.00 per grant for art projects are available for art projects of all disciplines. Preference will be given to those that feature community arts exchange, sharing of knowledge and skills, and promote arts and social awareness.
Projects can take the form of:
1. Community arts projects – exhibitions, performances, workshops with/about communities e.g. Indigenous artisans, persons with HIV, children in squatter areas etc
2. Training and workshops – for the public or targeted groups
3. Research & documentation of the arts
4. New works in music, dance, theatre, writing, visual/performance art, multidisciplinary work
5. Collaborations between artists and/or communities
Successful grantees are expected to provide:
1. Interaction between the project and the public. This can be a lecture demo or workshop by the artist or the community with which the artist is working, to take place at The Annexe.
2. Documentation of the project in written reports with accompanying photos, video documentary or publications.
3. Exhibition/Performance is strongly encouraged. The Annexe should have the first right of refusal to host the event.
The Panel for Selection consists of:
1. Datin Marion D’Cruz, arts worker, Five Arts Centre
2. Jerald Joseph, director, Pusat KOMAS
3. Yee I-Lann, artist
4. Nani Kahar, architect, LabDNA
5. Kow Shih-Li, General Manager, Central Market
All arts practitioners based in Malaysia are welcome to apply.
For more details and an application form, please send an email to:
Tel: 03 2070 1137, 012 305 1135 (Pang), 012 207 5140 (Chung Wei)
Deadline for submission: Feb 28, 2008.
Projects can be currently active or due to start in the period of May 2008 and May 2009.
The Annexe’s Grants for Grabs fund will be managed by The Annexe, Central Market.